Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Coconut-Lime Bars with Hazelnut Shortbread Crust

This bar cookie recipe was a great contrast of flavors and texture. From the nutty crust, to the creamy and tangy interior, and to the sweet shredded coconut on top. This is from the July 2009 Bon Appetit Magazine.

As I was saying, the contrast of flavors and textures is really what makes the bars so good. I had never toasted hazelnuts before, so I was glad that I didn't burn them. They were food-processed and went into the shortbread crust. Make sure that you use sweetened coconut on the top to add sweetness. The one difficult part of these bars are cutting them. As you can probably see in the picture, its hard to do. I probably wouldn't do triangle cuts again if I made these, because it would be hard enough to cut through the crust with just square cuts, let along triangle cuts. Overall, a great recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment