Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Three Layer Brown Sugar and Berry Pavlova

This is a fantastic recipe from the July 2009 Gourmet Magazine. For those of you who don't know, a pavlova is a meringue with cream and berries. It is an Australian/New Zealand dessert which is named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova.

The pavlova was just heavenly. I made it for the Fourth of July. The unusual addition of brown sugar in the meringue gave it a melt in your mouth texture. The recipe calls for no sugar in the cream, and I was a bit hesitant about not putting any in, but I am glad I didn't. The meringue and the macerated berries were very sweet, but not overpoweringly. The cream acted as a sort of balancer between the two. I would make it again, and I am making it again right now for a picnic in the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment